Monday, February 25, 2013

Celiac and cold cereal, because oatmeal's out for now ...


Oatmeal was our staple breakfast pre-diagnosis, except for those non-school days I'd give in and allow 'cold cereal' ... which for some reason, according to my apparently misguided parental wisdom, didn't seem as hearty or filling for days she had to be 'on' (at least according to preschool standards) until lunch-time?  I guess I was mistaken since that's what Z-Bug eats most mornings with some fresh fruit and she does just fine ... who knew?! 

So far we haven't tried any of the G-Free oats... I don't really get it, do you?? If so, please explain it to me - from what I can tell the issue is supposed to be cross-contamination, but oats do have gluten just not wheat gluten ... but is that okay or not?? So we're staying off the oats until, perhaps, we've been on the diet a while longer and want to see how she does with a gluten free oatmeal.

So yesterday I practically bought out all of the Nature's Path Gluten-Free cereal left on the shelf at Whole Foods - how could I not, they were on SALE!  They're really yummy (we've been eating Gorilla Munch and Peanut Butter Panda Puffs since well before Z-Bug's celiac diagnosis - to be honest, since well before Z was old enough to eat cereal!).  And some actually have a little fiber in there (e.g. Whole O's which I'll happily give E-Bee as an alternative to those filled-with-good-stuff, but not-so-filling and get crunched into the floor really easily Happy Baby Green Puffs). 


And for some humor ... (cartoon found at  http://www.thefastertimes.com/pediatrics/2011/08/10/celiac/ )






And as long as we're on breakfast, since I didn't take the time to toot my own horn last week, here's Z's G-Free Valentine breakfast plate - with apple slices, plain Greek yogurt (with Cinnamon) and coconut-bluberry muffin (asI wrote about previously) ALL in the shape of hearts!


No comments:

Post a Comment